Welcome to AllArtWorks Featured Artist Series, where today we are featuring Lea Magdangal! Take a look at some original artwork by Lea, see her art studio, and meet the artist by reading her thoughts.
1. What other profession is similar to being an artist and why?
Hairstyling/cutting is very similar to my art practice. It’s a form of sculpture that involves carving around textures and shapes that are unique to each individual. It’s also a collaboration between stylist and client.
2. What’s the nicest thing you can remember someone said about your work, or an individual piece?
The most recent feedback about my latest collection was that the interviewer explained it as both dangerous and beautiful. He called me a singular artist because of my personal experience in San Francisco.
3. What’s one thing you’d like everyone to know about you as an artist?
I’d like the audience to know that I’m interested in connecting with people, Mother Earth, the Spiritual Realm and everything in between. I’m always pushing my curiosity in subjects, mediums, and why we have visceral reactions to it all.
4. What was the last piece of art that you saw that blew you away?
The last art that blew me away was definitely the Joan Mitchell collection, all of it. It’s unexplainable, I just love the energy.
5. What’s something you haven’t done but you want to do in art/painting?
I’m really into collaborating with other artists that are excited about the next thing. I’d love to do this in film, sculpture, architecture, farming, and music. Farming is the odd man out, but I’m sure there are new ideas floating around out there to make it even more beautiful and practical.
6. Which artist do you like better - Ingres or Delacroix, and why?
I love all the dramatic movement in Delacroix’s work but detest the colonialism. I really enjoy the skin tones in Ingres’ work, but again, I’m sure he was commissioned to paint the aristocracy, imagine if we didn’t have to do any of that to survive! Both of them would have created other amazing things.
Click Here to purchase fine art for sale by Lea